Weekly Question #12: If You Were an Olympian

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Beijing Summer Olympics 2008 has created quite a lot of hype these past few days; what with news of the fake pyrotechnics during the opening and the girl who was lip syncing. In the spirit of the Olympics, Julie is asking an Olympics related question this week.
If you were an Olympian, what sport would you be participating in?
Most of my close friends would agree that sports and moi do not mix at all. Heck, I don't even remember being fascinated with sports ever! Sure, I did my stint with all the various games while I was in school but I dreaded them! I guess this was partly because I was mildly scared of our gym teacher, who is also our neighbor. Even during lectures, he manages to scare the living daylights out of me and I know most of my friends who were under him too would agree. He usually referred to all of us as "kingkoy" whenever we can't answer his questions during oral recitations. Hehehe

Over the years, I have tried tagging along with Never Dainty whilst she played basketball at the gym during Saturdays. Yeah, she's a total freak when it comes to basketball and I'm sure her entry this week would be about basketball. Go figure.

During the high school Intramurals when I was a Junior, I was a part of the soccer team. Ha! Some fun that turned out to be. I was never good at it at all. Anyway, nobody really wanted to be in the girls soccer team at that time so everyone who was in charge with the snacks where encouraged to join in just so we wouldn't loose by default! There were a few who were good, though but I sure wasn't one of them!

The summer before I started college, my friend Catswee and I, also enrolled in a summer swimming program so that we wouldn't embarrass ourselves when we have swimming for PE. Unfortunately, we entered in the wrong level and started swimming from scratch even though we belonged to the intermediate level! What fun. I can still remember one time when someone came and checked us out at the pool.... I remember he was wearing a white shirt! Hehehe the highlight of my summer.

I am not athletic at all and I don't even watch sports on T.V.! Well, when pyertubs kept coming over and became a permanent fixture at my house, I was forced to watch Billiards, NBA, the World Cup and even tennis! I do know a few sports personalities, though so I'm not totally behind the times and can keep up a conversation regarding sports pretty well. I know a certain someone would really want me to score sigs from Lebron James and Tony Parker. Hehehe... Sorry dear, I'm not buying tiks for the NBA. Not yet, anyway.

Now, I'm getting off topic here so I'm going to answer the question this time. I think I would definitely participate in football. Yes, FOOTBALL or soccer as it is popularly known in this part of the globe. I know many would raise their eyebrows and ask why I chose this game. Well, it's only because I have deep roots in that game. My father, uncles, and even pyertubs were soccer players. My father was coaching a team way back in the day and pyertubs was a goalie for his team also way back in the day!

I might not be the world's ultimate athletic person but I can still dream. Dream about being the next Mrs. Beckham? Hahaha on second thought, maybe I already am. I mean, pyertubs was a soccer player...


Weekly Questions Meme is hosted by Julie of GreenBucks.info.
For other responses to WQ, click here.
Image: N.DESIGN STUDIO


Like this article? Add me

7 deranged screams:

Anonymous August 13, 2008 at 2:33 AM  

hahaha.. but i didnt write about basketball.. blehhh....

i understand why you forgot about badminton.. i hid the facts... painful memories.. :D

faeryrowan August 13, 2008 at 9:53 AM  

Hehehe! For someone who's not athletic, you sure dabbled in a lot of sports. Hehe! Soccer or football would be awesome...especially if you've got David Beckham...I mean your "pyertubs" coaching you. Hehe! ;)

Zeee August 13, 2008 at 1:45 PM  

@Lurch: Hmmm...now I understand. Was our batch mate RB also one of those who gossiped behind your back? I remember she was once a player. You can talk to me about it if you want. Anyway, you're better than that!

@Lourie: Dabbled being the keyword! And I wouldn't bet on my David Beckham to teach me. I'm sure we'll end up fighting! Hahaha I remember the time when he taught me how to play guitar....

Anonymous August 13, 2008 at 3:02 PM  

I agree with Lourie, for someone not athletic, you sure mentioned a lot of sports :)

I don't enjoy sports too, even in HS and during college. I don't even know how to swim even if I grew up on a coastal province :D

Thanks for the answer Z, I enjoyed reading your post :)

Kat August 13, 2008 at 4:15 PM  

I like this question :D

I'd pick one of the two sports that I actually know: taekwondo or archery. Then again, I'd rather pick archery because the possibility of an injury (at least based on my experience) is less with archery than taekwondo, even with the protective gear and all.

But if I had to pick a totally new sport, I'd go for... soccer/football too hehe.

maiylah August 13, 2008 at 11:29 PM  

hehe, nice one, sis!
am scared of the balls flying around, (even in basketball and volleyball) that's why i chose one that didn't concern with anything small flying around. lol. :D

Zeee August 13, 2008 at 11:56 PM  

@Maiylah: I'm scared of them, too...but still, I was only dabbling!