Weekly Questions #16: Pig Brains in My Lasagna

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Teacher Julie had a really interesting question for this week and a story behind it. You see her friend had a second helping of lasagna only to find out that it wasn't beef but PIG BRAINS! If you want to read the whole story, visit Greenbucks.info for the article. Okay, so now that you have read the story behind it, here is the question:

If it were you in that situation, what would you do?

Now, this is a toughie! As Filipinos we are raised to polite to a fault wherein it would be a faux pas to be downright rude to our host or hostess. Yes, we all just have to "grin and bear it" or simply "suck it in". Although I am all for trying out new things, feasting on pig brains would not be at the top of my list.

However, since I had survived eating the first helping without nothing drastic happening to me and it tasted good, I would probably eat a third helping of it! I see nothing wrong with pigs and brains in my favorite lasagna, but hey, they said Filipinos eat the whole pig but the oink!

There are other dishes that are borderline gross, if you ask me. Take the infamous Dinuguan (Cooked pig's blood with intestines), now that is something that I draw the line to eating. I know Pinoys love their Dinuguan to death (pardon my pun) but I'm not one of them.

Eating pig's intestines is also yummy, well if it's cleaned and cooked well, I would love to munch on one! I've also tasted goat's head stew or something but I forgot what it was called. I didn't see the goat's head though so I could stomach it as well as everyone. It tasted like beef, actually. I've got to admit that my hubby is a fan of letting me try some of the things that I don't normally eat but as long as they're cooked and deemed safe, I would have some!

Kinilaw (the Pinoy version of seviche) is also yummy especially if it's prepared by my hubby. It's not cooked but it's wallowing in acid that I think most, if not all bacteria have been eliminated. Balut is another story though. I absolutely do not want to eat the whole duck embryo! I can take eating the yellow thingy and sipping the liquid in it but I absolutely abhor munching on the poor little ducky.

Come to think of it, Pinoy food does sound like an episode of Fear Factor!






Image: Google Images


Like this article? Add me

4 deranged screams:

Anonymous September 14, 2008 at 4:09 PM  

Dinuguan was something i have eaten several times though it is not a favorite.

Kinilaw is a favorite although that makes hubby sick. He has a weak stomach, especially for raw food.

Goat head? No thanks, haha!

Balut is one of my children's favorite food. sometimes they eat 2 each. Everything except the hard white part and the shell eaten.

Thanks for the answers, Z, my, I admire your hubby for being an adventurous eater. And shhh...you have unknowingly answered the next WQ. It is my drafts already after I did the WQ last Thursday. I hope you will still participate :D

Have a great week.

Zeee September 14, 2008 at 4:20 PM  

Aww I think I can guess what the next WQ will be but I'll definitely join next week! :)

Oh! I ate the goat head soup. I didn't actually SEE the goat head so I ate it! If I did see it, that would be another story... :)

Your kids are sooooo brave! I guess I just pity the little ducky so I can't bear to munch on it...

Guia Obsum September 14, 2008 at 8:44 PM  

i like the yellow part and soup of the balut but i've never tasted the duck embryo. i can't imagine swallowing a baby duck, however small and dead it is.

i like dinuguan, kinilaw is so-so, deending on the meat included. goat head i've never tried. sisig i love, hehe!

Zeee September 14, 2008 at 9:07 PM  

Oh! I love sisig! :) We just don't add pig brains in it but that would be a very interesting thing to try! :)

Thanks for dropping by!