WQ: Spending Christmas

Sunday, December 28, 2008


How was your Christmas?

Christmas Rose
With New Year rapidly approaching, I am quite at a loss as to describe how my Christmas went. It wasn’t what one would call a traditional Christmas, no. It was a simple preparation that my mom made to make Christmas dinner special. Because it is only the two of us, we just made a few dishes, one of which is Stracoto with Porcini Mushrooms and I made dessert.

Naturally, I was online and I was also on the phone calling my hubby and my mom’s sister and her family. I also had to greet my cousin whose birthday was on the 25th of December. I remember teasing her about only getting one gift for her birthday and for Christmas. Wicked, I know, but that was then, this time, I still keep on teasing her but she just takes it in stride. Her younger sister, the baby in our family, kept on begging me to come home in March in time for her elementary graduation. Yup, she is the youngest back in Dumaguete (this is not counting Shobe in Davao).

It was on the 23rd that I had a long conversation with P at around the stroke of midnight. It was fun hearing the sounds of Christmas in the Philippines, even if it was only through the phone. Since they didn’t bother to buy fireworks, P just made a racket; music blasting from the speakers, with him cranking up his guitar while talking to me; and they said guys can’t multitask?

We both knew we missed each other but we didn’t really dwell on those bleak thoughts. We talked about anything and everything, but with both of us wishing that we were together.

So, how was your Christmas?

4 deranged screams:

Anonymous December 29, 2008 at 4:27 PM  

Celebrating this special day with your mom, no matter how it seemed a bit ordinary all the more made it more special because at least you both made efforts to make the day worth remembering.

How sweet of your cousin to ask you to come celebrate her graduation day.

I am sure your hubby misses you so much and wished he could spend not just Christmas but everyday by your side.

Thanks, Z, for opening your heart and letting us know you more through WQ.

I wish you and your family the best for 2009! Hugs!

SASSY MOM December 29, 2008 at 7:46 PM  

It's always nice to celebrate a special day with your loved ones, even if it's just you and your mom.

And thanks for sharing the recipe, I might try it one day. My mom doesn't cook that well so I always have the responsibility of cooking meals for special occasions.

Thanks for sharing! Have a Blessed New Year ahead.

Zeee December 30, 2008 at 12:25 PM  

@Julie: thanks for the kind words Julie...My cousins are just like baby sisters & brother to me because I usually spend time with their family..parang adopted na ako doon...siguro when I get home I'll introduce them to the blogging world...hahahaha

I really enjoy WQ and it's one of the memes that I religiously do every week (I'm very lazy when it comes to memes)...I am looking forward to a newly improved WQ next year!

@Sassy Mom: No problem Sassy Mom...my mom is all for experimenting dishes and since I am the "baker" in the family, I let her have free reign in the kitchen... :)

Jescel January 1, 2009 at 1:23 PM  

we've a lot to be thankful for -- family especially. Good thing you still have your mom. cherish your every second with her. (lost my mother 1 yr ago).... anyway, HAPPY NEW YEAR! Be blessed.