Ispageti ala Mayang

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Our house help wasn't in yesterday so I decided to dazzle my hubby with my culinary skills...or lack thereof. Fortunately, I do have a few recipes up my sleeve that I can make by scratch and spaghetti is one of them. I am really fond of experimenting on recipes, however, and sometimes, they end up...let's just say that no one has been rushed to the ER or worse, died, yet so I'm continuing my experiments.

This entry is also for PMC's Weekly Fest. PMC is giving away 20 EC credits for all members who will join the weekly fest. Check it out!



Food Herstory
Wikipedia says that:
Spaghetti is a long, thin form of pasta. It is versatile, popular, and available throughout the Western world. Spaghetti is the plural form of the Italian word spaghetto, which is a diminutive of spago, meaning "thin string" or "twine". The word spaghetti can be literally translated as "little strings."
I started learning how to cook spaghetti back when my grandma was still alive. She used to ask me to taste her spaghetti sauce because she doesn't eat spaghetti (she just cooks it, not eat it!). And so, under her guidance, I started making spaghetti during parties and other special occasions. Fortunately for her, I was a quick study and so started my life as the designated spaghetti cook! Having a flair of the dramatic, I started, secretly, experimenting with the dish. I added other ingredients here and there and voila - Ispageti ala Mayang was born! (I made the name up!)

Ingredients
1/2 kilo of ground pork/beef or 1/4 pork & 1/4 beef (yes I tried it!)
1 kilo pasta (could be spaghetti or fettuccine or any pasta that you prefer...I've tried them all, too!)
350 ml Spaghetti sauce (your preference)
1 can Spaghetti meat sauce (optional)
garlic & onions finely chopped (you can use a food processor for this)
cooking oil (vegetable oil, olive oil, EVOO, take your pick!)
ground bell pepper flakes
cheese
hotdog, sliced (optional)
sugar, salt & pepper to taste

Directions
  1. Boil the pasta according to package instructions. Drain. Set aside.
  2. In a sauce pan with oil, sauté onions, garlic, and ground bell pepper flakes over medium - low heat. (the bell pepper flakes add a little heat to the sauce but can be optional if kids are your main monsters errr...consumers)
  3. Add the meat.
  4. Cook until meat is brown. You can drain excess fat if you want. Add sliced hotdogs if you want.
  5. Add salt and pepper to taste.
  6. Add spaghetti sauce and spaghetti meat sauce.
  7. Let simmer for a few minutes.
  8. Add sugar to taste. This can be optional, this just depends on your taste.
  9. Let simmer for about 6-10 minutes.
  10. Ladle sauce over pasta.
  11. Garnish with cheese (I use quickmelt cheese but I place it in the freezer before grating. It makes it pretty easy to grate)
  12. Serve with a big smile!
  13. Watch the monsters errr family enjoy the meal.


There you have it! My Ispageti ala Mayang. I was contemplating adding canned tuna to the sauce but decided against it. I didn't want to freak my hubby out!



Like this article? Add me

4 deranged screams:

Anonymous May 27, 2008 at 5:45 AM  

Hi thanks for asking the picture of my recipe i forgot i have now the picture. I use to bake that kind of bread many times and even my friends who taste they said they like it...Your spaghetti is yummy.Hubby loves spaghetti and loves Italian one. Have a good day.

Click me

RoseLLe May 27, 2008 at 5:56 AM  

this is yummy mommy!...basta spaghetti, kahit ano pang klaseng spaghetti yan gusto at kakainin ng mga anak ko. gandang gabi po :D

RoseLLe

PINAY MOMMY May 27, 2008 at 7:34 AM  

this is delicious!!

i made my entry na rin. hehehe

Zeee May 27, 2008 at 4:10 PM  

ako na icheck mami ruby

@roselle: thanks

@genny: i'll check it out na :)