Get Smart or Get Scammed!

Sunday, July 20, 2008

The Internet is probably one of the most lucrative places to earn money, start a business, and meet new people. Unfortunately, the Internet is also one of the avenues where scammers do their dirty deed.
To those who are blog newbies, myself included, we are so naive and gullible to different forms of scams because we may not be familiar with them. I am not an expert on scams and I have never been scammed...yet, but I am not holding my breath because a lot of these scammers prey on the innocent, the naive, and the desperate.
To avoid getting scammed, I have listed a few tips that have helped me avoid scammers. These are by no means, 100% effective but they have worked well for me.
  1. Don't talk to strangers. We have been taught since kindergarten never to trust anyone. Since mostly everyone you meet online are virtually strangers, it is best to be wary of people. This may sound hypocritical because I have met a few people online that turned out to be really cool but I am still wary.
  2. Do not trust people right away. Sure, they may seem nice and their photos may project an "angelic" appearance, but that doesn't mean that they are.
  3. Never share personal information to people on the Internet. You might think that it is harmless but believe me, it is not. I have heard a lot of horror stories regarding this tale; of identities being stolen, people using your credit card information...the list goes on and on.
  4. For bloggers who want to make money through their blogs, beware. There has been an increase in "Get Paid To" scams popping up like daisies all over the blogosphere so it is best to be aware of them. Only make transactions with reliable companies and never enter into any third party agreements or contracts because this spells trouble.
  5. With regards to instant messaging and other forms of chat services, I advise you to be wary because a random person will just strike up a conversation with you. My YM contacts are people that I know and trust. Whenever a window pops up and some person with a handle like, say "cute_guy123," wants to chat with me, I immediately hit the ignore button. If someone wants to add me as a friend and I have absolutely no idea who he/she is, I click the ignore button.
  6. Be wary of social sites. Just because his/her profile shows him as 18 and male with a hot picture attached to it, doesn't mean that he really is! This would all boil down to one thing: do not trust anybody.
  7. When you feel like a company you signed up for is doing something fishy; e.g. not paying you when you requested for a cash out, don't hesitate to contact their customer service. Reliable companies quickly respond to queries of this nature and your problem will be addressed. If all else fails hit Google or any search website and find out if others are getting scammed by that company.
  8. Lastly, do not trust anybody. I know this is redundant but this is probably the most crucial bit of advice that I can give you.
It pays to be vigilant guys. The Internet is really a good avenue to learn, grow, and make money. However, it is also a breeding place of unscrupulous people. Protect yourselves because it may happen to you.

Get Smart or Get Scammed!

Image: Google Images


Like this article? Add me

3 deranged screams:

PINAY MOMMY July 20, 2008 at 5:41 PM  

kudos to a great post. don't be like me!! hehehehehe....




Pinay Mommy Online
Blessings and Beyond
Mommy Earns Money Online

Mariz July 22, 2008 at 1:04 AM  

couldn't agree more, there are a lot of scammers out there so we must really be very careful. very helpful post.

btw, have joined your ringsurf already! :)

Zeee July 22, 2008 at 1:21 AM  

a friend of mine got scammed and i wanted to show my support by posting something relevant...

and to keep people aware of shady people!

thanks for joining my ring! I activated you already! Be hopping by soon!