Weekly Questions #17: Weird Culinary Delights?

Monday, September 22, 2008

This is the sequel to WQ #16: Ugh where a friend of Miss Julie ate pig's brain. This weeks question is about the weird culinary delights that you have tasted. Hmmm, I admit, I was one to snub my nose up at them but...I've tried to give them a go, even for just a bite! I'm not one for joining Fear Factor but I can manage to blend in with my hubby's friends and his...eclectic tastes.

What were the worst or weird food (for you) that you have ever eaten? What were your reactions?

Let's back track a bit to ohhhh 19-20 years ago, my dad actually gave me dog meat for lunch. Hello! I was such an innocent kid way back when and I remember that I loved the taste but I can't remember how it actually tastes like. My grandfather, Lolo Basiong went through the roof though and cursed my dad (well, not really cursed) and that was the last I ever tasted dog. Now that I had my baby Dalmatians, I swear that I will never eat any dog meat and will curse the person who will let me eat it without my knowledge. I'm serious people. At this point, I'd like to say a few words to my departed puppy Sly. He died last Sunday and I am so heartbroken that I couldn't be with him in his last few days. I know he missed me and I miss him, too. Me and Sly where very close and hubby's fave is Shine (the mommy) who is hale and hearty.

Next, I've already mentioned eating Balut or duck's embryo. No, I do not eat the embryo just sip the liquid and a little of the yellow stuff. I'm not a huge fan of this weird but common delicacy but I can manage to swallow a few bites just to blend in.

I've also tasted Goat's head soup or something. I don't even know what it's called but my hubby forced it on me. It actually tastes like beef stew and it's cooked well, so it wasn't as scary as I thought it would be. Of course, I didn't see the head in the pot so my stomach was fine the whole time. On this note, I've also tasted a few strips of kilawin which is raw similar to goat skin similar to kinilaw. Surprisingly, it tasted okay but I'm not a huge fan of it.

Pig intestines or shia-i was also a common food when we went to the beach when I was still a kid. They usually buy it with chicharon and it is actually similar to chicharon in that it is crispy. Shia-i is okay when the intestines are cleaned really well because if not, you could taste the bile in it. Unfortunately, my hubby forced me, AGAIN, to take a bite of a not so clean intestine and it tasted AWFUL! I am never going to do that again!

Another variation of shia-i is isaw which is chicken intestines. This one is usually grilled and is a staple in places where you can buy tocino. I admit that I love isaw when it is split in half before grilling. Basically, isaw tastes bitter when it is not cleaned or cut in half and that is a no, no for me.

I draw the line in eating dinuguan or cooked pig's blood, though. It's also a staple during parties when there is the famed lechon but I don't eat lechon so I can justify not eating dinuguan at all.

I've seen and heard quite a few weird delicacies for real and on TV. I know most of you have seen chicken head and chicken feet (addidas) being served in the local markets. *Shiver* I don't think I can take that though.

I'm actually quite game in trying anything and sometimes, I do enjoy eating the weird stuff being served in the Philippines. I guess you can blame it on the fact that my hubby is always forcing me to try some and sometimes I don't mind - much.











Like this article? Add me

4 deranged screams:

Anonymous September 23, 2008 at 12:06 AM  

Yung dog meat, is one of those that I can't stomach talaga, especially now.

I love chicharon, especially those that they get from Bohol, pag piniga mo, there's oil that will drip, ayos!

Kilawin agrees with me but not with my hubby, his tummy does not agree with it.

Balut? my kids love them even the teeny chick inside.

Dinuguan, my eldest daughter and hubby eat that, I don't.Not anymore, kasi bawal lahat :D

have your tried the crickets? I have forgotten to add that. Ew.

Thanks for playing and your culinary delights delighted me so :)

Zeee September 23, 2008 at 12:35 AM  

crickets? nahhh i haven't really... and i'm too chicken to try... :) but if i'm cornered? why not?

Purpled Sky September 24, 2008 at 7:34 AM  

Haha, Z'riz, now I feel so weird. I've tried everything you mentioned and some with gusto -- but never the dog meat, that is just unacceptable!

Zeee September 29, 2008 at 9:53 AM  

I know what you mean! I am never, NEVER going to eat dog meat ever. I just ate it because my dad let me try some when I was FIVE and I didn't know better!