WQ: Cherish the Memories

Monday, December 1, 2008


I'm back and I am excited to reminisce and share my Christmas experience after I posted a...melancholy post. Now, on to the question.

What special Christmas memories do you still cherish as the years pass by?

I cannot pinpoint a single Christmas memory because there have been quite a lot that colored my past but I have learned to appreciate every memory.
Christmas Tree
I remember Christmas dinner at my grandparents house with my father's family. My grandfather was one who loved Christmas and spared no expense when it came to Christmas dinner and the decorations. Everywhere you looked there were various twinkling lights on the outdoor plants and I remember the tall Christmas tree and the presents underneath it, it was enough to make a little girl excited! Approaching 12 midnight, we would all gather in the porch and see the grown-ups set up the fireworks and by 12, all of them where airborne.

When my grandfather died, Christmas wasn't the same. We didn't have the same Christmas spirit that we used to have when he was still alive. We didn't gather at their old house anymore so we had Christmas dinner at our place. It was my grandmother who made our Christmas special. She would always take out the decorations and encouraged me to participate in the preparations. It was during this time that I started baking and helping out in the kitchen. This time, I was happy to try out new things like my fudge chocolate cake and my infamous lasagna. Ham, bacon and hotdogs were a staple and my grandmother would make her famous humba and estofado. Yumm yumm! We invited everyone for Christmas dinner and we also had the fireworks; our very own Christmas tradition.

There is no Christmas like a Filipino Christmas. With me in another country, I can only wish that I was back home...if only in my dreams...

8 deranged screams:

Anonymous December 1, 2008 at 3:09 PM  

Wow,spending Christmas with your Lolo must have been very special indeed. Bongga, yun ang masasabi ko.

Z, I am heading to your other entry and I think I am gonna cry when I read that.

Thanks for playing again and I wish you have a great Christmas-y week!

Zeee December 1, 2008 at 4:01 PM  

Yup! My Lolo loved Christmas...and the fireworks...hahaha :)

Anonymous December 1, 2008 at 4:44 PM  

Gosh, kalami sab ani Z'riz uy. Estofado yummmy!

Zeee December 1, 2008 at 6:41 PM  

hahaha lami gyud...sayang lang...nobody asked my Lola's recipes from her...so ayan the secrets are buried with her... :(

Anonymous December 3, 2008 at 7:09 PM  

Hi! My Lolo also made our Christmases special. I have very fond Christmas memories of him.

So true, there's no Christmas like ours in the Philippines. But I still hope you have a great one kahit nasa ibang bansa ka. :)

Zeee December 4, 2008 at 12:16 AM  

It will not be the same as compared to what we would be having in the Philippines but we will make do.

Anonymous December 4, 2008 at 1:04 PM  

You must miss your grandpa very much. Those beautiful Christmas memories will live on.

It's good that your grandma has continued to welcome the Christmas spirit in your family gatherings. I could just imagine the great feast you serve during Christmas.

Thanks for visiting my other blog.

Zeee December 4, 2008 at 6:19 PM  

Yeah kaya lang after my grandmother died wala na kaming get-together...