Weekly Fest #5: First Day School Blues

Thursday, June 26, 2008


It's been a long time since I thought about my first day in school. Usually, people think that first day school blues happen only when you're in grade school or when your baby starts preschool for the very first time. No, I'm not going to talk about my first day in grade school. I know what I was back then: a shy, gangly little girl, always by herself, looking for her name posted outside the door of her classroom for sectioning, and staying inside until the bell rings for the first day Flag Ceremony.
I am going to talk about the first day I went back to school for my freaking enrollment in college after I stopped schooling for a year because I was in the US. Whew, that was a pretty long sentence! Anyway, there I was a week early for enrollment because I had to see the Admissions chairperson so that I can be officially re-admitted to the college. So, I found her at the WBT (that's our college's mini library) handing her students their exam results. When she was free, I approached her and she looked at me, all evil like, and snapped at me. Of course, I didn't snap back at her even though I would have loved to give her a piece of my mind. I told her that I was supposed to see her per instruction from the Dean's office because I have to be re-admitted so that I would become officially a student again. She told me to wait, and wait and wait, and wait, and...you get the message. Until finally, I approached her again and asked her when she would be available. She snapped at me again and told me to come back on the enrollment week saying that I was too early for the enrollment. Fine. I came back the next week and boy was I in for a surprise!
There was a long queue from her office up to the Dean's office (you can just imagine that). S*#@t! Unfortunately, I didn't have a choice and I stayed in line. Noon came and went and 5 PM was fast approaching and the freaking line didn't even budge! I found out that she was having a meeting with the Dean! Freaking witch! Why didn't they tell us to come back the next day if she was indeed busy and wouldn't have time to entertain us? Everyone in line was grumbling, what's worse, some where even in line at 6 AM!
The next day, I came back bright and early at 6 AM and there was already a freaking line (I can just imagine how early they woke up)! Naturally, the line didn't budge again and we were turned away...again! No one was seeing the witch, it seemed. A person who lined up before me was cursing to high hell because she wasn't from our city and she was just staying at a hotel. Plus, she didn't bring that many clothes with her since she thought that she would be staying for only 3 days! No such luck, lady! She ended up staying until the next week, by the way (I wonder what she did for clothes...).
Needless to say, I had my mom call some "important people" in our university and finally I was enrolled by Thursday. THURSDAY?! Can you believe it? When I was taking up Medical Technology in that same university, I got enrolled in just half a day and this includes getting our printout and getting stamped "enrolled" by the Registrars Office! This college is pretty inept when it comes to enrollment. It seems that they didn't have a system! I still hear horror stories like this one up to this day. *sigh* When will they ever learn?

This post is for PMC's Weekly Fest. Don't forget to join guys because Mommy Joann is giving away a free book for 2 lucky bloggers (International bloggers accepted). Want to join Pinay Mommies Community? Click here to join.




Like this article? Add me

7 deranged screams:

Jo Ann June 26, 2008 at 4:41 PM  

Hi there... exciting ang mga enrolment no? I remember nung enrolment sa UP, grabe din ang mga pila (kaya University of Pila). Matutuyo talaga dugo mo sa pagpapasensya.

maiylah June 26, 2008 at 5:02 PM  

good thing I haven't experienced something as horrifying as that during enrollments! at UPLB we had pre-registration (during my time, anyway, eons ago. lol), so the lines weren't that long. :)

happy weekend! :)

Zeee June 26, 2008 at 5:19 PM  

we do have the online registration...but that doesn't include the advising of subjects...plus it's only in this college...sa other depts and colleges of the university dili man ingon ani...kani lang gyud na college! grrrr

Unknown June 26, 2008 at 6:31 PM  

Grabe it seems like that in the Philippines...they are quite fond of making people miserable by having them queue and wait for forever.

It's not only in schools but also in gov't offices.

Zeee June 26, 2008 at 6:36 PM  

actually it's everywhere! check out everywhere sa pinas diba there is always a queue!

Jo Ann June 27, 2008 at 7:15 PM  

nung mga first two years ko sa UP Diliman, wala pang pre-registration. nung nasa 3rd yr na ata ako nagkaroon nun... naalala ko nung second year ako, hindi na kc block section, kasama ko mother ko saka isa kong kapatid. taga-pila ko habang nasa ibang pila din ako. whew!

Zeee June 27, 2008 at 8:53 PM  

hahaha nice one! sa akin...well yung tita ko ang daming kilala so siya lang taga pila for me...of corz hindi sya magpila...example sa business office, she just leaves my payment then babalik lang sya in the afternoon...no need to be in a queue! hehehehe sneaky i know pero wla kang magawa kasi ang daming tao...it's either that or get up at 4 in the am and stay in line!