Eye HEART Pinas

Monday, November 10, 2008


Perhaps one of the things that I miss is being in my own country. I guess I never realized it until I left the Philippines for the first time three years ago. I was the typical Pinoy who had a bad case of "colonial mentality." Sure, I liked things "made in the Philippines" but more often than not, I patronized imported goods.

It wasn't until I left the country that I craved to be back to the place where I grew up. It wasn't because I missed someone back home (that was a factor, too) but it was because being in another country made me realize that I didn't appreciate my roots. Typically, I scorned everything Filipino: from music, to movies, to the government (of course, it is still something to scorn at), you name it.

I was wrong. It was only this time where I appreciated OPM music, well not all of them were good but I learned to appreciate Filipino artists and the Philippines as a whole. I guess you could say that I hungered to hear about anything that reminded me of home that my ears immediately perked up everytime I heard people speak in Tagalog or any other Filipino dialect. I still do, as a matter of fact.

I feel a sense of shame sometimes because I haven't been to different places in the Philippines. Yup, I was just constrained to the Visayas and to Negros Oriental where Dumaguete City, my hometown is located. It's true, it seems like I have been to different states of the US than in the different provinces of the Philippines.



My Lakbayan grade is D!

How much of the Philippines have you visited? Find out at Lakbayan!

Created by Eugene Villar.


A few years ago, I also saw an ad campaign for WOW Philippines on T.V. and it made me think about the natural beauty of the Philippines. You might have seen it a few times already, but it is a song recorded by 21 Filipino artists promoting Philippine tourism. The song is called "Byahe Tayo" composed by Rico Blanco and MikeVillegas; lyrics by Rene Nieva, and arranged by Angelo Villegas.

7 deranged screams:

Anonymous November 11, 2008 at 3:06 AM  

to be honest, i already read this post early this morning. i didn't comment on it because i was busy singing "byahe tayo."

and guess what! i have been singing it the whole day until now. hehehehe

Zeee November 11, 2008 at 10:16 AM  

Song stuck in your head Mami R sa? heheheh glad you liked the song... char! Mura'g ako pud ang nag compose! hehehehe :D

Aisha November 11, 2008 at 12:32 PM  

This is such a beautiful video! I always a lot of artists singing in one song! Beautiful!

Zeee November 11, 2008 at 12:40 PM  

Lagi Aish... gusto ko ani... gave me goosebumps actually...

Anonymous November 12, 2008 at 3:29 AM  

Hmm, your post made me remember the conversation I had with a friend who's a nurse in New York. Depressed xa because it's almost Christmas and he's stuck there in the Big Apple, no parol, no puto and bibingka, just snow, hehe. It's ironic that most of us have to leave the Philippines in order to really appreciate it. I'm still here, and thank God I have stories of people who are not but are dying to return...at least it makes me appreciate the Phils. while I'm still here to actually do something about hehe.

Anonymous November 12, 2008 at 7:47 AM  

makamingaw dud zr? samot kay naa pa imo bana dri hehehe... sige lang ay... ingana man gyud dgway na hehehe...

Zeee November 12, 2008 at 10:21 AM  

@joselle: I know a lot of people are dying to get out of the Philippines and they will never realize it until they leave but they will really long for the Philippines. So while you're in the Philippines, take advantage of it... :)

@rhardo: dili gyud dhe...lahi lang gyud...mkarealize ra gyud ka when you leave the Philippines...basta... nka realize gyud ko lami ra gyud kaayo sa Pilipinas!