Scenic Sunday: Helios

Saturday, November 8, 2008


Sunset

For centuries, many people have been fascinated by the sun to the point where they worshiped it. In Greek Mythology, the sun is personified as Helios and sometimes, Apollo, the god of the sun. They said Helios was always imagined to be riding his chariot of the sun across the sky each day to signify the rise and setting of the sun.

Not only is sun worship mentioned in Greek Mythology but we can constantly see them all throughout ancient civilizations, the Mayans, the Aztecs, and the Egyptians. Up till now, the sun is still viewed as a source of life since all living things depend on the sun to grow.

I'm rambling again...hehehe but I still find ancient civilizations fascinating, but that is another story. You might be wondering why I'm gabbing about the sun and Helios, yes? Well, I am going to show you a few sunset photos that I took at the Santa Monica Pier last Thursday. I was experimenting with my camera's white-balance and had really interesting shots. Hope you like them!

Sunset 3
Sunset 2
Sunset 1

The sunset is amazing, isn't it? I enjoyed it immensely.

18 deranged screams:

Anonymous November 8, 2008 at 10:07 PM  

Love the different looks. Is the first one your fave? I prefer the last one, because of the opalescent reflection on the water. But they are all lovely. I agree that the sun is surely more than a big lightbulb. Happy Scenic Sunday. A great entry.

Zeee November 8, 2008 at 10:24 PM  

Thanks for the comment Sara... uhmmm I love the second photos best...hehehe :)

Anonymous November 8, 2008 at 11:39 PM  

hi z'riz,

love all your shots... especially the second one... looks like there's some kind of fire explosion. having people in the photo makes it more dramatic. excellent!

Anonymous November 8, 2008 at 11:40 PM  

z'riz,

all your photos are lovely. different colors with different perspectives. you're very creative.

Zeee November 9, 2008 at 12:04 AM  

thanks for the comment Jan! :)

Anonymous November 9, 2008 at 1:50 AM  

this looks pretty cool!! nice shots mommy z.

mines up here: http://www.micahdavid.com/2008/11/not-usual-backyard.html

Melissa November 9, 2008 at 2:06 AM  

Love the way you captured the beautiful sunset. So pretty...thanks for dropping by...

twinks November 9, 2008 at 4:06 AM  

Hi,
All the photos are amazing. I love the second photo, having those people in the photo makes it real and alive. Thanks for the share. Mine is up too! :]

Anonymous November 9, 2008 at 6:07 AM  

Wow this pictures are all pretty. Thanks for sharing...

Anonymous November 9, 2008 at 6:29 AM  

All of these shots are simply gorgeous!! I've always like the way Greek mythology had a reason for everything.

ChrissyM November 9, 2008 at 6:59 AM  

Wow what stunning photos! Love all the different captures. I enjoyed your post very much!

Zeee November 9, 2008 at 10:11 AM  

Thanks for the comments guys! I'll be dropping by your logs in a jiffy! :)

Anonymous November 9, 2008 at 11:57 AM  

The sunset shots are all amazing - truly. I wish I could figure out more with my camera, but it just hasn't struck me (that crazy photography bug). Maybe I should be thankful, huh? When you see the sun, you can see why/how people, even in ancient cultures, thought it beautiful and worthy of worship. Luckily we can give credit and worship to an even higher beauty! Thanks for stopping by my place.

Zeee November 9, 2008 at 12:47 PM  

I agree..

I guess it was just one of those days where I had nothing else to do but play around with my camera! hehehe :)

Aisha November 9, 2008 at 2:40 PM  

Hi Zriz. Grabe ka chada imo pictures uy! Naglearn ka ug photography? Chada jud imo pics na.

Zeee November 9, 2008 at 2:54 PM  

Thanks Aish! Hehehe nag photography class ko para mkabalo ko unsaon paggamit ang ako SLR...hahahaha :) nya cge rko practice para nice ang photos...hehehe

gina November 9, 2008 at 5:24 PM  

absolutely awesome! the top and bottom could be called serene sunday. :)

Zeee November 9, 2008 at 5:28 PM  

thanks Gina! :)